perfect stainless steel revolving ashtray - Stelton / Arne Jacobsen
- dimensions : Large: Ø100mm H80mm / Small: Ø75mm H65mm
- weight : Large 320g / Small 178g
- 18/8 stainless steel (food grade)
- satin polished finish
- design: Arne Jacobsen in 1970 for Stelton DK (Cylinda Line)
- free delivery for orders over 70€
FAITES VOTRE CHOIX :
3 good reasons
- you smoke, and the more time passes, the more ostracized you feel, so you want to find consolation with an ashtray, emblematic of this surprising era when one went to kiss one's children goodnight, a cigarette between the lips.
- you are a fan of Arne Jacobsen, one of the masters and initiators of Danish functional design in the 60s and 70s
- you are amongst the last smokers, are (like me) obliged to smoke outside and need a perfect ashtray that will resist to adverse weather conditions on the balcony or the terrace
how does it work?
- the internal cup, a perfect half sphere, rotates around an axis, therefore you get rid of the but and the ash with an amusing movement (it however needs to be emptied regularly): these fall in the stainless steel cylinder, the cup turns upright, and the ashtray recovers its usual and welcoming appearance
- its two parts in food grade stainless steel (Danish make) make it totally indifferent to the dishwasher or adverse weather conditions (ours has been outside for two years and has no trace of corrosion or oxidation)
- to clean it, avoid using the scratching side of the sponge (to protect the nice satin polish), but a sponge and washing-up liquid will do nicely, as well as the dishwasher.
The famous Cylinda Line was initiated in 1964 by Arne Jacobsen (architect and design professor) and his adopted son Peter Holmblad, MD of Stelton (Copenhagen). Peter Holmblad entrusted Arne Jacobsen with the design of a harmonious and coordinated tableware product line in stainless steel.
In three years, this master of proportions designed a series of 17 ultra functional objects, combinations of simple geometric shapes (cylinder, disc, and half-sphere). Even though it was difficult in the beginning (Mrs Holmsblad was personally in charge doing the rounds of shops in Copenhagen to place the first pieces), numerous awards (ID award in 1967, awarded by the Danish Society of Industrial Design and the International Design Award in 1968 from the American Institute of Interior Designers) drew the public's attention. An immense success ensued and continues, so timeless and sublime are these product lines.
quality: Arne Jacobsen and Stelton, thanks to the huge success of their Cylinda Line, literally relaunched the stainless steel industry in Denmark. Even today, all the Cylinda Line Stelton products are manufactured according to the same quality criteria and manufacturing processes as the initial launch of this grandiose series. Stelton's Revolving Ashtray is indeed not cheap, but its quality/price ratio is truly excellent, and its durability is superior to a human life (smoker or not...).
design classicism: the design exellence of Arne Jacobsen, Danish architect and designer, confers to this product a totally timeless, ultra-modern and very elegant nature. Considered as a masterpiece by specialists, this ashtray from the Cylinda Line will find its place on a raw wood table as well as on a design coffee table: the purity of its lines, its ultra simple geometrical shapes and its perfect manufacture will bring you great pleasure each time you lay your eyes on it.
functionality: there are ashtrays that hide buts, but are very difficult to clean, there are ashtrays that let ash fly away and immediately look dirty, and there is this one. Cigarette or pipe smokers who appreciate nice objects: this is the product for you.